SainaG

Post 1: Learning, Motivation, and Theory

From the article ‘Behaviorism, Cognitivism, Constructivism’, we learned that there are three types of learning design methods.
1. Behaviorism
It focuses on learning as expressed through behavior. Behaviorists believe that human behavior can be determined by external circumstances. If one’s surroundings are changed, his/her thoughts and behaviors will be changed. In this learning system, teachers can take rewards and punishments as the basis of classroom management. For example, teachers can give special treatment or gifts to some students to praise them for their good performance during the week. On the contrary, if student misbehaves during the week, teacher can take away certain privileges or assign more tasks as punishment. Students will respond correctly to this stimulus.
Example
When I was in primary school, my parents made a plan to encourage me to do housework. Make the bed, sweep the floor, clean the table, or do some simple housework. I could get a star sticker for every chore I do. And if I could get twenty star stickers, my parents will buy me a toy. I think this method is effective, in order to get toys I became very diligent, until finally formed the habit of doing housework.
2. Cognitivism
It argues that the human brain is like a computer. After information is taken, that learning takes place over a period of time, that information is processed and results in some outcomes. The cognitivist focuses on the inner psychological activities. They believe that human beings should explore the though, memory, knowledge and transform the external knowledge into the internal structure.
Example
In my life and, study, I think there are many examples to prove it. When I first started learning to type on a computer, I had to look at the keyboard and do it slowly. Nut now, I can type easily and quickly without looking at the keyboard.
3. Constructivism
It is a theory of learning based on observation and research. We have to build an understanding of knowledge by experiencing things and reflecting on our own experiences. Therefore, constructivism requires us to be more activity involved in learning practice, rather than passively taught knowledge. Students take the initiative to acquire ore create knowledge, and the reflect and discuss. Teachers make sure the students have their own concepts and provide guidance to solve their problems.
Example
When I was in high school, every semester our teacher would ask us to do a research project in groups within a week. The research content is various, can be aliens, ancient history, games… we firstly seek out information in the library and then make certain their professional and accurate. After that, it will be summarized into a report, and do a PowerPoint. Finally, we show our results to the students and submit the report. During this time, the teacher will check our first draft and answer some questions. In this weeklong assignment, they value originality and uniqueness, but not perfection.

Reference:

Ertmer, P. A., & Newby, T. (n.d.). Behaviorism, Cognitivism, Constructivism. Retrieved from https://edtechbooks.org/lidtfoundations/behaviorism_cognitivism_constructivism

Comments on Peers’ Post:

https://yoyoiris.opened.ca/

I agree with Iris that compared with face to face teaching, online classes need more interaction between teachers and learners, because teachers cannot completely grasp the learner’s progress. In addition, I am interested in the game that Iris made. I believe it is a great idea to incorporate knowledge into the games. Learning can be done easily and in fun.

https://omote1112.opened.ca/

I believe that interest is the first step to learn a new thing, so as not to feel boring and lost in the process of continuous learning. However, as Seul says, interest is only the beginning, and to keep the work going requires attention, relevance, confidence, and satisfaction. I also like baking, hope we can communicate more about baking in the future.

https://taoyuchen.opened.ca/

I think Taoyu’s analysis and explanation of behaviorism, cognitivism, and constructivism are clear. He gives the example of IELTS in constructivism. I also took the IELTS exam. The knowledge the teacher gave us was a range, or a framework. We need to constantly accumulate and reflect to improve our level. So I argue that it is a process of construct. In addition, I suggest Taoyu add some of his own experience to the example.

1. yoyoiris May 16, 2020

HI Saina, I appreciate what you have done to accomplish this task. It is very satisfied to read your writing from each perspective and their examples. And your understanding of behaviorism, constructivism, and cognitivism are impressive and fully explained to readers. Thank you for what you have done :)!